Thursday, July 15, 2010

So It Begins: My Woodworking Plans


Now that I've gotten things squared away as to where I'm heading with this blog, I figured I'd get down to the nitty-gritty and map out my plans for the future. 

I'm now finishing some storage beds for a really nice lady with two little girls.  She hired me to build two very basic storage beds, but I got a wild idea to try to make my own decorative mouldings to make it look nicer.  A router is a beautiful thing!  We went from simple strips of wood to this pretty little thing in a matter of minutes:



I'm adding the mouldings tonight - this job has been sloooow going because I've been sick.  I'm hoping to finish this one by this weekend so I can begin building my girls' beds and get their room painted (Oh yeah, I have more jobs lined up too!).  We'll see how that works out!

After the girls' beds are built and their room is redone,  I'm hoping to re-do the laundry room.  My awful, pitiful, ridiculously U-G-L-Y laundry room looks like this:

U-G-L-Y laundry room (note the industrial shelf)


Can anyone say EEEEWWW??!


The laundry room is relatively large (as far as laundry rooms go that is), as there's a large deep freezer and utility wall you can't see.  My plan is to build a small shelving unit surrounding the washer and dryer that will hold supplies and have a bar for hanging clothes (which we already have, but my shelf is way too high for me to reach comfortably).  Then, along the side wall I want 3 bins for sorting laundry, shelves with baskets for each of the kids' clothes, a bin for shoes, and a way to disguise the horribly offensive freezer.  Oh yeah, the broom and mop don't look too stylish in there either!  I'm thinking rather than build the whole unit as a built-in, I'll make it in sections that can move with us if we ever move away.  What ya think?

I have a HUGE scrap pile of wood now:
A little much?  Naaaa!

I'm going to think of some super-crafty, amazingly cool fall project to make these scraps into a work of art!  When you're all done laughing, please shoot me an idea if you have one....;o)  Anyhow, I think I can squeeze a nightstand or two out of this heap, plus still have plenty of wood leftover for my littlest man to play with.

I need to build these things, in order of importance (NOT necessarily in the order they'll actually get done!):

2 beds for the girls
2 dressers for the boys
1 armoire for the girls
5 nightstands
laundry room storage unit
entry way table/bench system
coffee table (or two, or three)
armoire for living room
bookshelves - built-ins? - for the den
whatever else I decide we "need" in the house

I'm gonna show you all how awful my girls' room is in the next few days - I'm embarrased.  Oh yeah.  It's bad in there.  That will be a project to begin next week - I should be able to whip out both beds next week and get the painting done.  I already got their new bedding a few months ago (in the closet, thank you very much) as well as the curtain rod, shelves, and accessories.  Plus, we're taking some of the things we've had around the house and are repainting them to match the room as well.  I figure the room will be a l-o-n-g project from start to finish, only because I want this room to ROCK!  I'm actually Martha Stewart in my mind, so it will take gobs of time (and patience) to get this right.  Wish me luck!

I better get back to my work...*hugs* to all who are sticking with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails