Monday, May 10, 2010

Long Time Coming: Outdoor Table and Benches

After several days of building, staining, and sealing, my table and benches are finally done and ready to be used!!

We moved the set to the backyard (still kinda yucky - please forgive me!) yesterday so we could have our Mother's Day meal on the new furniture.  I bought a really nice striped umbrella for my mom's day gift to myself, so here's what it all looked like before dinner:


The kids were just dying to pose on the table, so here ya go:











We had a nice chicken caesar salad and fresh fruits and veggies for dinner - it was an amazing meal and it was so beautiful out there!  We lit our lanterns and placed them on the table - it was the perfect size for our family of 7 - yeah!

A recap:



Total cost for this project:

5 - 12' 1x4 boards (28.40)
14 - 8' 1x4 boards (45.92)
10 - 8" 1x3 boards (31.20)
1 - 12" 2x4 board (4.64)
2 1/2" screws (4.75)
1 1/4" screws (4.75)
2" screws (28.50)
Wood stain (7.98)
Wood sealer (14.54)

Before tax: 170.68
Grand total with tax, including umbrella: 184.76

*I would have spent much less if I hadn't bought expensive wood and screws - oops!*

This may sound a bit expensive to some of you and although it wasn't a cheap set to build, I saved a FORTUNE by NOT buying from PB!  Now don't get me wrong, PB is one of my all time favorite stores.  I have many furniture pieces in my home designed very similar (thanks Kevin!), plus lots of rugs and bedding, but I just hated to spend that kind of money.

I have discovered alot about myself with this experience.  I realized that I can do many things I thought I couldn't.  I learned to use a table saw, circular saw, square, and stain with the best of them (not really, but I can dream can't I?)!  I am now inspired to set attainable goals - one board at a time!

A HUGE thank you to Ana at Knock-Off Wood!!  Take a minute (or a whole afternoon - you'll never want to leave!) and see what you can build:

Knock-Off Wood

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. We love the benches! You did a great job Erica, Woody thought it all looked great too. The kids are so funny in the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, but your children are my favorite part. I think this is a steal at under $200 with high quality wood. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you from Ana's site. I just found her site too! I am excited to start building at some point...but a little nervous too! This table and benches is something that I wanted to build, so it was pretty cool to see that someone else has completed them. Any other advise that you have...please send my way! You did an awesome job! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ana! Without your plans and encouragement I never would have attempted this project.

    Promises Fulfilled:
    You should definitely start this project! It was pretty easy to build, the plans were awesome, and I feel great about having completed it. My kids love it, and have been bragging to their friends at school!

    If I had any advice to give it would be to measure twice, cut once. :o) Just kidding, although that is sound advice. Just go slow enough to understand what you're doing, and be sure to check for square often so the whole thing will line up the way you want it to. I am NOT a master woodworker by any means, but I'm defintely interested in doing more projects for my kids. There's something to be said for those who take the initiative and make things for themselves. Good luck, and check back with Ana EVERY DAY - she posts amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly inspiring! Saw this on Ana's blog & wanted to stop by & congratulate you on it. Makes me want to run out & get all the stuff to start building... right now! ;D Unfortunately I've got a floor that needs refinishing first. UGH! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job Erica...can't wait to build these myself...after seeing yours I want to start now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing job you did with your bare hands! I was reading Ana's brag board and had to come check on your blog all of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table looks great. I have been wanting to make this table also, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure what would be the best wood for outdoors. Could you give me any tips? Thanks and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an amazing job Erica. :D

    -Came over from the Brag Board too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you mind sharing what type of wood you bought? There are a lot of different boards and I want to make sure I buy the right type. Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your lovely comments! I was so excited to have built this. My hubby has been a hobby woodworker for many years and I never thought I could do this. I'm now working on a picnic table for the kids and will post those details next week...

    I am probably not the right person to ask about what type of wood to use (Ana will know better than me, but I'm flattered you asked!). I used select pine (higher grade than top choice or knotty pine, but still pine) and made sure to stain with three coats and then used three coats of an outdoor grade sealant called spar urethane by Minwax. I have heard cedar is great for outdoors, but I also saw a comment Ana made about any/most wood working for outdoors as long as it's sealed properly.

    Thank you again everyone - I'll post more projects on my site as I complete them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a wonderful job. AWSOME WORK! You must have a wonderful/understanding husband to let you use his tools;)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! My husband is definitely very generous to let me use his tools, but he told me last night how excited he was that I was showing interest in his hobby. He said it motivates him to do more projects himself. He took the day off yesterday so we could spend the day together and we ended up at a few wood stores and building together in the garage - it was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What color stain did you use? The table looks amazing and I am hoping to tackle one for our family too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails