Friday, July 16, 2010

Despicable ME: an UGLY Room

Ever wonder just how ugly, ugly can be?  I don't, 'cause I already know.  Take a journey with me into the realm of the worst design disaster man has ever known....


Doesn't look THAT bad, right?  Well, if that's what you think you just haven't seen enough yet (after all, the door is only cracked!).

Okay, I've got to stop and explain a leeetle bit here.  Many years ago, like 5 or more, I bought this gorgeous bedroom set from Pottery Barn Kids.  It was called jacqueline, and came in blue or pink.  They had these stunning (washable) silk comforters to match the quilts, so I bought the silk comforter and the blue quilt, plus about EVERY accessory they made to match this set!  I got rugs, window sheers, art clips, frames, sheets, shams, quilts, memo boards, matching toilet paper, curtain rods, etc.  You name, I bought it!  Their room looked pretty good, stylish and matchy, but not too matchy (I promise).

PBK stuff tends to hold up really well, so when I buy a new set the old set goes in to the closet for use another time.  The girls recently decided they wanted the blue stuff back (the jacqueline phase came and went), so out it came.  I only have the quilts left - all the rest of the stuff was given away to others.  Sooo, all they have that actually "matches" is the 2 quilts.  The rest of the mess in there is just a hodeg podge of "stuff" from over the years, including a nightstand that belonged to my sister and I, as well as a few other things from MY childhood.

Okay.  I'm done explaining.  It's now time to reveal my absolute, utter SHAME that this room is in my house:


Their beds.

Opposite side of the room.

A rather "nifty" organizer if I might say so myself...;o)  I have several of these in my house, including ones in the utility closet that hold cleaning supplies.

I can't think of an explaination for this one.

My old nightstand - can't you see it??

Ewww, and double ewww.

I don't know how it is in your house, but in mine, NO sliding closet door has EVER survived my kids!

Who says girls aren't as filthy as boys?

Can you say "paint"?  Behr to the rescue...

Now, I have a Better Homes & Gardens magazine-like room makeover in my mind here.  I'm going to spend so much time redoing this room and making it fabulous that BH&G will have no choice but to put my masterpiece in their publication.  Here's a mere hint of what I have planned in here:

New bedding (this is a sham).

Wall art, and LOTS of it!

Accessories and sheets.

The style bed I'll be making for them...

I hope I can channel the design diva I just know lives in me and pair it with the new woodworker in me because after all, furniture tends to "make" the room, right?  I want to build some really nice beds for them and personalize them with their names in beads/sequins/something pretty, plus, I want to build some matching items like the nightstands and armoire.

I am planning to paint the walls ultra pure white, and I know, it sounds boring.  I'll be adding lots of accents as well as some black mouldings *somewhere* in this room.  It's gonna look good!

Stay tuned for occasional sneak-peeks of my progress on this room.  I'll show you snippets of the furniture I'm building, plus the accessories I'll be building to match (shelves, frames, picture boards, mouldings, etc..)!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, I bet it will look great in the end! I think just the headboard will make a difference on the beds. When I grew up, the closet doors never lasted either! And compared to my girls, that room is pretty clean :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails